Grading

How Grades Work in This Class

I recognize that this is a very stressful time for you. COVID-19 has added significant stress and trauma to our lives. That stress affects your ability to learn. I want to do all I can to take the guesswork out of this class for you. So, we’re doing something a bit differently!

In this class, you are going to pick the grade you want to earn and complete the assignments needed to earn that grade. It’s really that simple.

• Want an A? Ccomplete all of the assignments for Bundle A.
  • Want a B? Complete all of the assignments for Bundle B.
  • You get the picture, right?

I realize this may feel weird to you! If you have any concerns or questions about how the grades work, please share them in the Q&A Lounge or message me directly.

Pick Your Grade Bundle

There is no judgement here! This is your decision. Ending the class with a C will provide you with full credit on your transcript. But it will also lower your G.P.A. That may or may not matter to you, depending on what your academic goals are. If you have questions, I am happy to help answer them! Yes, you can change bundles if needed. I just find it helpful to know what your plans are so I can support you better.View Grade Bundles

How to Earn a Completion for an Assignment

Every assignment in this class has a rubric. A rubric simply lists the criteria that I am looking for when I assess your work. You must review the rubric and use it to guide your work for every assignment. If you meet all the criteria, you’ll earn a Complete (checkmark) for the assignment. If you don’t, you’ll earn an Incomplete, which just means you need to review my comments and resubmit your assignment. You always get a second chance! You will be rewarded for learning and for working hard in this class. It’s that simple.

VoiceThreads, Discussions, and quizzes with open-ended questions have to be manually graded by me before you’ll see whether it is complete or incomplete.

Tracking Your Progress

Once per week, you should check your grade. To do so, click on Grades in our course navigation menu. You’ll see a list of assignments and either a checkmark (which means Complete) or an X for any assignment you’ve submitted (after I’ve graded it). If you see a comment bubble, click on it to view my feedback for you.

When you track your grades, refer to the grade bundle list to be sure you’re on track with the grade you plan to earn.

New Grade

When you have a new grade or feedback from me to view, you’ll see a number appear next to Grades in the course navigation menu

Complete

When you have earned a Complete on an assignment, you’ll see a checkmark next to the assignment name in the Grades area. To earn a Complete, you must fulfill all of the criteria in the assignment’s rubric. If you see a comment bubble, click on it to view my feedback.

Incomplete

If you have earned an Incomplete, you’ll see an X next to the assignment name in the Grades area. This means you have not fulfilled all of the criteria in the assignment’s rubric. Any time you receive an Incomplete, I will leave you a comment explaining what you need to do to change your score to a Complete. Follow that feedback and resubmit your assignment.

What if an Assignment is Late?

Late Work

Every assignment has a due date and I want to stress to you how important it is to try to meet them. I have been teaching online for a long time. Getting behind is the number one thing that makes students end up dropping or failing an online class. Strive to meet the due dates. But … if you miss a due date, no big deal. Turn it in late. I will still grade it and you will still have the same opportunity to earn a Completion. https://www.youtube.com/embed/3vHrpRAgcJE